Wilsonville Rocket League establish undisputed Oregon supremacy

The+state+final+was+broadcasted+by+NACE%2C+a+prestigious+esports+organization+that+hosts+high+school+and+collegiate+esports+events.+
Connor Larsen
The state final was broadcasted by NACE, a prestigious esports organization that hosts high school and collegiate esports events.

On April 20th of 2024, Wilsonville’s Varsity Rocket League team was crowned state champions, completing a dominant season with a perfect 8-0 record. The season was so mind-blowing that being state champions isn’t even the most notable detail.

Not only did the Wildcats maintain a perfect 8-0 record in the season, but they also kept the scoresheet clean, not dropping a game in a series and going a perfect 25-0. Additionally, across the season, Wilsonville averaged 8.08 goals a game. 

That statistic is as ridiculous as it sounds. Typical score lines of standard 3v3 Rocket League are quite similar to traditional soccer. Winning 8-0 in high school, Rocket League is just as jaw-dropping and hilarious as it would be in a high school soccer game. 

This level of dominance puts a massive target on the varsity squad throughout the whole year. The Oregon team that truly challenged Wilsonville the hardest was West Linn, which opted not to play in the state tournament to focus on their national-level conference in the HSEL. 

Wilsonville managed to triumph in all three they encountered West Linn in HSEL conference play, winning 3-0, 3-0 and 3-2 in the series. Making West Linn the only Oregon team to take a game in a series off the Wildcats.

The Esports team is looking forward to the HSEL Spring Season Wildcard, where the varsity team has the opportunity to qualify for nationals. With their strong record, a national-level qualification is within reach.

Senior Connor Larsen has built the Rocket League Esports team at Wilsonville, and team advisor Harold Coller had praising words for their team captain. “[The team’s success] shows Connor Larsen’s leadership and the encouragement he gave,” stated Coller, and he believes that Larsen has “done more than anyone could have imagined” in terms of growing the Esports program at Wilsonville High School.

Larsen established the Esports program in 2022 and has grown the program specifically through Rocket League over the past two years.

The development of Wilsonville Rocket League is nothing short of incredible; with strong established leadership, the Rocket League will continue to thrive for years to come.