Seniors leave the tennis season

Senior+Mattison+Quinn+and+teammate+Paula+Rumayor+practice+after+a+match+against+Rex+Putnam.+They+later+cheered+on+the+other+members+of+the+tennis+team+before+they+finished+their+match.+
Mia Poppe
Senior Mattison Quinn and teammate Paula Rumayor practice after a match against Rex Putnam. They later cheered on the other members of the tennis team before they finished their match.

As the tennis season draws to a close, anticipation builds for the final matches of the year, which includes the annual district tournament. This tournament combines all the teams played during the regular season and is now seeded to compete for the opportunity to advance to the state tournament.

Everyone on Varsity has the chance to compete, which usually lasts a few days. Amidst the excitement, there is a bittersweet reality that many seniors will soon depart.

Venecia Gonzalez, a Senior at Wilsonville, reflects on her three-year journey with the tennis team, stating, “I’ve been on the tennis team since [my] Sophomore year. I love tennis, which is why I’ve played it for three years. I think it’s super fun.”

As Gonzalez acknowledges her impending separation from tennis, mentioning, “It makes me very sad that next year when tennis season comes around, I won’t be able to be here with the girls on the team. I’m going to miss them, but I’m very excited for them.”

Joining the team for just this year, Senior Mattison Quinn shared her experience, being grateful for the friendships formed during this season. “This is my first and last year on the tennis team, unfortunately,” she remarks.

“Being on the team, in general, has been amazing. I’ve made a lot of new friends, and I feel like it was a great opportunity to get to know people, especially underclassmen.”

Quinn mentions the lengthy bus rides for away games, stating, “Honestly, my favorite part is the bus rides to games, and I get to chat with all of my teammates, make jokes, and have fun.”

The impact the tennis team has made on this years graduating class is unmatched, however, despite their soon farewell, the team plans to honor its seniors with a special senior night and an annual tennis banquet, further celebrating their contributions and achievements on this team.