The end of CREST

CREST Farm. Anyone who has attended school in Wilsonville knows about the farm. Many students have many memories of going on field trips and also having internships at CREST. For those who haven’t been to CREST, it is an environmental educational center that engages students in a hands on approach to science. It leads students in the district in an active research and inquiry. CREST has been opened for about sixteen years.

Recently, Bob Carlson said that he would be retiring in the end of October. He said in an interview with Pamplin media group, that he will be retiring the thirty first of October. This is sad news not only for students but also for the community. Carlson has been in the district for twenty seven years, working as a teacher, environmental science educator, and a director at CREST. He’s led multiple summer and environmental programs. Carlson has helped teachers to thinking of ideas to get students outside, taking care of the forestry near their schools, and helping out on the farm.

The school district still hasn’t decided on what to do with CREST once Carlson retires. Those who have fond memories of farm, will hope that the district will still keep the place up, to not only fill in new positions, but to also keep on teaching kids about science.