Filed under Opinions

Should communication programs be funded by the government?

The debate of whether or not communications should be funded in institutions and our community.

Communication+photo+from+pixaby.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Communication photo from pixaby.

Communication photo from pixaby.

Pixabay/ Mohamed Hassan

Communication photo from pixaby.

Pixabay/ Mohamed Hassan

Pixabay/ Mohamed Hassan

Communication photo from pixaby.

The field of communication fosters a platform where open-minded individuals alike can express themselves. Though these media outlets are devoid of the financial support that is public funding by the federal government.

High schools like Wilsonville often have to hold fundraisers or sell advertisements for their arts and media programs. Organizations such as the booster club are responsible for acquiring the funding to keep our various programs thriving.

With donations and ad revenue, this private funding is what helps print the newspaper, purchase better equipment, and pay for broadcast subscriptions. 

Extra funding from the government would open current possibilities for students to explore the arts and media. With the federal government facing pressures of other needs, the dilemma of whether public funding for communications should be implemented or sacrificed arises.

My insight regarding this debate is that federal government funding should be considered. Supporting this field with more funding would indicate provoking the imagination of students while teaching them skills concerning critical thinking that is necessary for their future careers. 

According to culturalpolicies.net, government funding education in communications and the arts is imperative for analytic and interpretive skills.

“The best paying jobs require workers with creativity and higher order thinking and communication skills, and companies are increasingly looking for these qualities in the workers they recruit.”

The study of communication-related subjects nurtures progression, whether it be in the form of verbal, written, or visual. It is the most powerful method of transferring information globally. As society advances, life is centered around technology. When young minds enter the workforce, there need to be funded, in-depth programs to guide them in the digital world.

With public funding, it will be ensured that the next generation can contribute to the media. Though many institutions are limited to Journalism and Broadcasting. There is an entire spectrum of communication subjects. That way students could explore intercultural and public relations, electronic media, and speech rhetoric as well. 

The practice of communication is indispensable, for it is the foundation of the community of the freethinkers. Student-run media offers a place for experimentation in sharing voice without repercussions. Not only are media and press valuable for delivering student news, but it gives an outlet to deliver authentic viewpoints.

Unlike other courses, it takes hands-on experience in the field to the next level. Students have the stage to speak out about important issues and for storytelling. Should the federal government support it in tandem with private foundations, these student-run media organizations in institutions will flourish. 

The school sought funding cannot support it alone, therefore there should be government funding for the sake of youth education and social progression. 

(Condensed from an essay)

About the Writer
Mackenzie Waterfield, Staff Writer

Mackenzie is a senior at Wilsonville High School. This is her first semester as a staff writer on the Paw Print. Mackenzie looks forward to covering student...