Online school necessities

Student+attending+school+on+their+computer+from+home.+

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Student attending school on their computer from home.

The school year has started, classes are starting to pick up the pace, and the students are finally starting to get back into the school routine. However, this year is unlike any other. This global pandemic has led schools across the nation to the video communications app we all know and love: Zoom. But the real question is, what do you need to be successful during online school? 

We all need a place where we can focus and get our work done to the best of our ability. Doing school work from home, it can be easy to get distracted. Students need a place that comfortable for them to work in and sit on their Zoom calls throughout the day. Junior, Riley Lawler says, “I have a desk in my room that I leave all my books and school work at.” The majority of students do their work at a desk or table. However, there is also a handful of a student who takes advantage of the luxuries of being at home by going for a more comfortable learning environment. Senior, David Higa is one of them, “My online set up is pretty simple, only using a couch to sit on and a side table to hold my computer up.”  

Whether you’re attending in-person school or you’re zooming from your bed, we all need snacks. At least now you don’t have to spend all your money on the stale vending machine food. According to Higa, “Leftovers from the night before and chips seem to be the best snacking items.” Lawler mentioned that she likes goldfish and popcorn, but she often chews on gum while studying. These are just a few of the unlimited snack options available to get you through the day. 

Being in such an unusual situation, the 2020-2021 school year can be frustrating for students at times. No one expected any of this to go on for so long. This school year has been a huge adjustment for students to make. David Higa says, “The hardest adjustment to online school is the isolation without friends, especially during senior year.” These days can be stressful but Higa has a good recommendation to get you through some hard times, “If you have a record player throw on some records!”