Play ball! A newly released memo that indicates an earlier start to activities

Nights like these: gone for not too long.

Greg Artman

BREAKING: A newly released plan by the OSAA gives those closest to WHS athletics the hope they needed in such a fractured time.

The original plan (released August 5th) had season one of the athletic calendar slated to begin on December 28th, with contests being initiated in early 2021. As of last night, however, this procedure has been struck down… the first season is set to begin NOW and subsequent seasons are due to follow (with the potential of full play and competition of athletics and activities). 

However, season one restricts students to only training, conditioning and limited play. They are now allowed to rehearse, practice or workout in limited groups which are to be hosted outdoors. The programs involved are all OSAA sports and other programs such as Choir, Band, Speech & Debate, and seasonal sports programs including Lacrosse.

Some particulars as devised by the OSAA include- “Outdoor Location Only (for now), Proper Social Distancing and Face Masks requirements, Stable Cohorts of 10 students; No more than 80 students at WHS,  Students will be allowed up to 90 minutes on campus, this includes a 15-minute check in, 60 minute workout, and 15 minute check out routine. Students’ use of facilities and restrooms will follow safety guidelines for restricted use by multiple users and frequent sanitization. Students will bring their own equipment including water bottles.” 

More information is expected to follow, but for now play is resuming giving the school population much to take comfort in. Athletes with specific questions should contact your coaches or the athletic office!