The theater departments amateur academy awards night in review

Members of the theater program dress in their fancy attire to commemorate the night. (Left to right: Keira Kerner, Courtney Lawrence, Kate Thomas, Kara Emmett.)

GMArtman

Every June, Wilsonville High School’s theater program hosts its annual drama awards night to conclude the year’s overarching success of the dramatic arts program. Carefully selected award recipients are recognized for their performances, as well as additional numbers performed by students. On June 7th, 2023, the high school, once again, hosted the awards commemoration.

Penelope Burian, a senior graduate, was overjoyed to accompany her fellow theater mates, as a farewell, while also receiving an “honors thespian for graduation, best female lead in a play, and the perseverance directors award.” She additionally performed a song “to perform in the new auditorium”.

In addition to the academy award-inspired evening, the head representatives of the theater program traditionally reveal the upcoming year’s fall musical. On Wednesday, it was revealed that the theater department’s fall plans are the Broadway acclaimed musical and holiday movie, Elf. Kate Thomas, a sophomore, and active participant in the theater program, was “initially very shocked,” but she has confidence that the theater program will convey an enjoyable performance.

Burian, a recently graduated alumni, “laughed when they announced it,” mostly due to shock and surprise considering the broad selection, but she’s excited to return to the school and support her former theater mates’ performances.

Thomas was elated to attend the awards night. The sophomore received numerous awards for her outstanding performances in plays such as the fall musical, Little Women, and the winter play, Puffs. The recognition she received reminded her that she “had something to be proud of,” and her hard work was notarized.

Rayan Renison, a theater enthusiast you may have seen in WHS’ winter play, Puffs, attended the event as well. Her favorite part of the commencement was the featured performances, primarily, Kara Emmett’s vocal performance. Renison claimed the song “gave [her] chills,” and her confidence in Emmett’s vocal abilities makes her conclude that “she is going places,” and going to achieve great lengths.

Despite the extended delay of the new auditorium’s final product, the theater program was able to hold the event in the newly lit chamber. Renison described the night as “surreal”, as she was able to become a member of a new era. She can’t wait to perform in the new space in the upcoming year.