Do students feel the lottery system is fair for parking passes?

Designed by Elizabeth Harris

At Wilsonville High School the parking lot is small, with limited parking for both staff and students. Just recently the new construction has restricted parking even more. The issue has been resolved by using the Boeckman Creek parking lot for staff, and the students are parking in both staff and student parking spaces in the main high school parking lot. 

The parking spaces were divided among seniors as first priority and then a lottery system for juniors, leaving no parking spaces for sophomores. This can be an issue if sophomores have their licenses and can drive.

Despite what I had originally thought, many students have a positive opinion about this issue. Siona Ruud, a sophomore says, “I think it’s fair for seniors to have priority as they are the oldest and their lives tend to be more busy.” This is very true, many seniors have jobs and have places they need to be, if they were not given a parking spot it would be hard for them to accomplish what they need to after school. Siona also stated that “it doesn’t bother [her] personally” that she doesn’t have a parking spot even if she is one of the few sophomores that currently have their license. 

Similarly, Angelina Heimerdinger, a junior, stated that “as long as the upperclassmen are getting the best spots” she didn’t mind the lottery system and it is a great way to sort out who of the junior class gets the parking spots.

Senior Cassera Fitzke, also thinks that it is fair but she suggested that within the lottery system “people should give a reason for why they need the spot and then the lottery system should start from there.” This would help the students who actually need the spots to get them.

The lottery system is a system that is well liked by those interviewed and this issue won’t bother the younger students. despite the fact that they may be unable to get a parking spot.