How do students feel about the change to 8 classes next year?

Wilsonville High School will go through a significant schedule change starting next year. How do students feeling about this?

Nick Youngson

If you already didn’t know, Wilsonville High School will go through a big change of having 8 total classes starting next year instead of the current 6 classes. And undoubtedly this increase of two classes will be very different and new for a bunch of students.

“I feel like it’s a good opportunity to experiment with more classes but also I think it may be hard to keep up with all of the class work and homework since there’s an extra two classes to worry about,” says Justin Schramm, a junior at WVHS. This makes sense, because while we may have the downside of an increase in workload, the addition of more classes creates more opportunity for students to take classes they are interested in. 

Junior Grayson Atwood says “I think two more classes will be very different, but I think it’ll be something we can get used to.” This is true, as most students are so familiar with only having 6 periods that 8 periods may seem like the end of the world. However, it’s not impossible and perhaps students will be able to transition into the new schedule without as much difficulty as they think.  

Whatever or however students feel about the schedule change, the decision to enact it is already made. Looking at the facts, this new schedule will change typical school life by opening up more classes next year for students to choose that interest them.