First come, best spot

Maddie Holly

It is practically dark by the time Maddie Holly is able to leave the parking lot. The line to get out from her spot is so long.

This year at Wilsonville High School parking has been really different in many ways. Due to the construction of the new theater building there has been a shortage of parking spots for students.

But, there is also no assigned parking this year.

First come, first serve is the motto for students at Wilsonville students this year. Junior Zoe Stascausky says, “I like unassigned because I always get a spot in the front.” If you arrive at school early enough parking is a breeze.

No assigned parking means that if you don’t get a good spot today there is always another chance tomorrow. But it can also add to the stress if students can’t find a good spot. Stascausky adds, “I do find after lunch if I don’t see a spot it’s kind of stressful.”

Even after school the parking lot is a mess, and it takes students up to 30 minutes to reach the exit. This causes mass aggravation for students and parents that pick up students. 

There is also the issue of priority. In the past years seniors have had priority when it came to assigning parking spots, but this is not the case this year. Senior Alannah Moore states, “It kind of sucks because seniors normally park in the front, but all the sophomores and juniors have been parking there.”

It is frustrating when it takes hours in the parking lot, facing ferocious high school drivers to get home. Students are arriving to the school earlier so that they can ensure a good spot in the lot. 

In the end, if you are strategic about when you get to school, and don’t go out to lunch, unassigned parking can be a blessing. But if you value sleep, the parking situation can be a terrible way to end any day.