Cheer or dance?

What is the difference between a cheer competition and a dance competition?

Photo provided by Reece Buchanan

Dancers celebrate success after performing at the “A New Dance Experience” dance competition.

Last Saturday, the Wilsonville High School cheerleaders had their first competition of the season. For quite a few of them it was their first ever cheer competition. 

A few people were wondering how a cheer competition compares to a dance competition. They had questions on how they are similar and how they are different. 

Abbie Memot, a sophomore on the Wilsonville Cheer team, described how a cheer competition works. “We compete and then wait until awards, we will sometimes also watch other teams,” she said. 

Lily Arzie, a freshman who dances at Innovative Dance, describes the daily routine at a dance competition. She talks about how you have to wake up around 5:00 am. “I always struggle to finish my makeup and slick back my hair, but before I know it I’m competing.” 

She goes on to say that after a few routines it is time to get awards. “This part is terrifying because you know everyone is listening. After all the chaos, I usually end up in bed at midnight.” Dance competitions are always super long but feel like they go by super fast.  

Malia Kaleikelo, a freshman on the cheer team, talked about how she believes that cheer competitions are more different than similar compared to dance competitions. She said that dance competitions are longer and more leisurely compared to cheer competitions. “Cheer is only one day, and is a shorter day, when most dance competitions are multiple days and can go from as early as 6 am to as late as 12 pm.” 

She goes on to say that cheer competitions are more rushed and almost stressful. “One second you are lying around and the next you have to be on stage,” Malia says. She talks about how dance competitions feel more organized and is just one thing after the other. 

Makenzie Small, another freshman on the cheer team, also says that cheer competitions are a lot different than dance competitions. “There are only groups for cheer,” she explains. 

During dance competitions, you can perform your group routines along with your trios, solos, and duos. For cheer though, you only perform group routines. 

Aysha Marin, a freshman on the cheer team, explained the major similarities between the two competitions. She talked about how awards are the most similar part. “Everyone is supportive of other teams and we sit together in our groups.” 

Cheer and dance competitions are fairly similar, but they also have some major differences.