Freshman football team on fire

The Wildcat defense takes down the Sandy offense at the line of scrimmage.

Photo by Greg Artman.

After a remarkable 44-7 victory against undefeated Crescent Valley, the Wilsonville Wildcats freshman football team raises their record to an impressive  8-0. This promising freshman team has a weekly habit of blowing their oppositions out of the water. At first sight, you may mistake these young men for a JV or even a Varsity team. They have impressive size and skill from players like Chad Overholt and Jack Kimball. Having a deep, talented group of freshman is a very important piece of a successful team, especially if the program wants to thrive for more than a couple years.

During an interview, Jack Kimball, one of the team key players on both sides, gave a few reasons why he thinks their team has had so much success. He made it clear that the team has great coaching and stays very disciplined. “Everyone knows their assignments and we don’t have any selfish players.” Was the answer Jack gave. When asked how their offense has been performing Jack answered, “Some games our offense is very good with running and passing, but other weeks we struggle to pass and can only run the ball and this is when we don’t do as well.” Jack made it very clear that their defense is the strongest part of their team. Their starting defense is yet to allow a touchdown through eight weeks of football. That is very impressive.

The freshman boys have one remaining game against a non league opponent in Sunset. Be at the highschool at 5 next friday if you want to watch this team live in action. This is their last game of the season so go show your support!