Filed under Sports

Defeating the Lions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Defeating the Lions

GMArtman

GMArtman

GMArtman

The Wilsonville Wildcats, the West Linn Lions, a Friday night rivalry. The fans started filing in hours before tip off to get seats, this weeks game has been highly anticipated and we all expected a classic and that’s just what we all got. The Wildcats got off to a fast start getting a few quick buckets and the Wildcat gym was rocking as West Linn had to call an early timeout to quiet down Wilsonville.

One of the top 2020 recruits in Oregon, Bryson Crockett, West Linn point guard was the player Wilsonville had to keep tabs on. A lengthy scoring threat who also had range from deep. Wildcats point guard Jack Roche kept Crockett in check for most of the game.

The Wildcats were returning star forward Keegan Shivers who made his debut against and had a large role coming off the bench, he missed the start of the season with a knee injury. He had a large impact impact in this contest on both sides of the floor.

The player of the game was Wilsonville wing Zach Rivers, I spoke to Rivers courtside after the game asking him how it felt to beat a high caliber team in West Linn, he told me “They beat us the past two years and it felt good to beat them on home court, especially in a rivalry game.” Rivers was all over the court tallying multiple blocks and being in the face of West Linn guard Micah Garret all night. He stepped up in a huge way for Wilsonville, the leagues top two-way guards played lights out all night.

It was only fitting this game went to the dying seconds of the 4th,  the Cats were up three and West Linn had the ball with a chance to tie, the Lions put up multiple shots but Micah Garretts last three point shot was swatted away by wing Gabe Reichle and Jack Roche got the rebound and was intentionally fouled and sent Roche to the free throw line and he sunk one free throw to give Wilsonville the W 66-62 over West Linn.