Filed under Sports

Cydney Gutridge nominated for McDonald’s All American Games

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cydney Gutridge shoots a three against Skyview. She was nominated for the 2019 McDonald's All American Games.

GM Artman

GM Artman

GM Artman

On Wednesday, January 16th, the McDonald’s All American Games (or McDAAGs) announced their nominees for the 2019 Games. Among the list was a familiar name for Wilsonville girls basketball fans – senior guard Cydney Gutridge.

The list contains over 800 notable senior girls and boys basketball players across the country who are eligible to compete in the 42nd annual games in Atlanta this March. Players from 46 states as well as the District of Columbia were nominated by their high school coaches, athletic directors, principals, and members of the McDonald’s All American Games Selection Committee.

As cited in a press release by the McDAAGs, Selection Committee Co-Chairman Morgan Wooten mentioned, “We are excited to recognize these McDonald’s American Games nominees and give fans a first look at some of the nation’s biggest rising basketball stars.”

High school students who are nominated for the McDAAGs often go on to become the best and brightest players. Some notable alumni of the games include Breanna Stewart, Anthony Davis, and Lebron James.

Cydney Gutridge fits the bill exactly for what the typical McDonald’s All American is; she’s an outstanding playmaker, a knock-down shooter, and a captain of the #1 ranked Wilsonville Wildcats.

Recently, Gutridge has been on fire from the three point line, and she hit 4-4 from behind the arc on her way to a team high 21 points against St. Helens on January 9th. She was also a key player in Tuesday’s intense battle against La Salle, and she added 12 points to help lead the Wildcats to victory over their NWOC rivals.

Gutridge is a natural leader and well deserving of her nomination. Junior Haley Stahl praised the starting point guard, mentioning, “She steps up in practice and sets a good example for the rest of the team.”

The final rosters for the 2019 McDonald’s All American Games will be revealed on Thursday, Jan. 24 at 3 p.m. ET on ESPN’s The Jump and at 6 p.m. ET on SportsCenter.

Fans can watch the 18th annual McDonald’s All American Girls Game on ESPN2 at 5 p.m. ET Wednesday, March 27. The 42nd annual Boys Game immediately follows at 7 p.m. ET and will also air live on ESPN2.

About the Writer
Ally Finkbeiner, Staff Writer

Ally Finkbeiner is a junior at Wilsonville High School. This is her first year as part of Wilsonville’s media program, and she is excited to hold the...