Student safety at Wilsonville High School

Wikimedia Commons

School doors at Wilsonville high School.

Last Friday at Wilsonville High School, students went into lock out which caused there to be a consideration of the level of safety precautions the school is taking.

During this lock out, students felt relieved to see administration walking around the school and having an in-school resource officer. A problem that occurs often at the school is letting in other students without having the student check in at the main office.

Many students explained that they have opened the door for other students in the past and never found an issue; they believe the person they are letting in goes to the school because of their back pack, but these students can have false judgement. It is very easy for someone to dress up like they attend the school, and when a student makes the choice to let in another “student,” it takes away from the safety of the entire school. Although students know they shouldn’t let in students from outside, they feel a sense of empathy for the student. Walking around the school to the main office is inconvenient and can make a student—who would be on time—late for their class.

Peyton Tolboe, a junior at Wilsonville High School, gave her opinions on how the school can enhance their safety measures. “I would change the current door locking policy,” Tolboe admits, “students at other schools have started to wear key cards on them to get into the school. This would fix the problem of students being locked out. Students can for sure know that the person they let into the school is a current student.” Students could carry around their identification to scan to be let into the school like some colleges do.

Wilsonville High School is trying its best to fix safety measures but there are still improvements that need to be made.